Friday, October 13, 2006

Our reactions

I am pleased to say that our sadness is being replaced by warm memories.

Noah, Camden and Gracie (the other dog) have all had varied reactions to this situation.

Camden, at age two, appears to be taking it all in and processing it in his own way. He is very smart and I believe understands more of what went on then he can put into words. Here are some of his responses when asked during the week "where is Whitney?":

Monday: "sleeping"
Tuesday: "at the doctor's" or "at the hospital" {He knows when you are very sick or hurt that is where you go.}
Wednesday: "at Papa's house" {He saw where she was buried and now has some place concrete to place her.}
What makes me sad, is that he probably won't remember anything about her in another year.

Noah, at age four, has been a challenge. He is very bright and and has been full of hard questions from the beginning. We decided that no matter how difficult it was going to be, he was going to be told the truth. For some 4-year olds the truth is sugar-coated, with Noah he doesn't make that possible. One tough question is followed by another tough question and so on. He has asked if everyone dies, when do we die?, do we get buried in the ground?, do we die forever?, will we see Whitney again?, etc. I have done my best to answer the way I know how.

Noah has always had anxiety and it has been heightened since Sunday. He is very afraid to go anywhere in the house by himself. I know his fears stem from Whitney being gone and he is afraid that we will be gone also. We have tried to put those fears to rest but as with anything,I think it will take time and constant reassurance on our part.

Gracie, the dog, is so different since Sunday. I had big fears that she would freak out and openly mourn since she is the dependent dog. She has proved me wrong. She has become a more loving and calm dog. I think the jealosy factor has been taken away and she does not feel threatned. She seems to be trying to make sure that we are all o.k. with lots of kisses.

The only thing she seems to struggle with is going outside. Before, I would let them both out and Gracie would wait for Whittie and then they would both run out into the yard. Now, I let Gracie out and she just stands on the porch waiting...trying to figure out what to do next. She loves it when the kids go out with her, so we have spent lots of time outside this week.

Gracie was never the watch dog. We never thought she had it in her. Boy, were we wrong. She has been very protective and doing her duty to bark that "Big Bark" when she hears something. This is new to all of us, but we are enjoying this side of her.

Our week started out slow and painful but ended full of happiness and hope. We are grateful for your prayers.

3 comments:

Phat Girl said...

Thanks for sharing this with us! I hate it when a wonderful friend (like yourself) is having a difficult time. I am here for you.

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

Hey Sharon I think you have a very unique opportunity to talk witness to Noah about heaven/earth...where we go when we die, that we'll see each other again, etc....I'm so glad Gracie has taken on the protective role in Whittie's absence. Funny how we become so dependant on others. I know that I never have to worry about checking the door locks at night because Jason auto. does it. I think it's the same way with animals. Gracie just knew Whittie would go out to potty with her. I'm so thankful that you guys got to have Whittie for so many years. What a great dog she was. Gracie might surprise you in ways you never knew now that she's the alpha dog. Leaving for KY tomorrow, will blog if I can while there. If not, ya'll have a great week in blogland.

Anonymous said...

Hi!!!! What a wonderful thing to be a part of. This is so great to keep up informed about all that's going on. You are such an interesting "writer" too.
Love you