Wednesday, August 09, 2006

"Today was boring"

Those are the words Noah spoke tonight. Today was anything but boring. It started off like any other day; breakfast, getting dressed, playing-

...and then it changed!

Noah and Camden were playing on the fort in our living room when Noah fell off and started to cry. Not the usual whine or the usual wail when he is really hurt, but a strange different cry. I was in the kitchen and did not see what had happened but knew instantly that something wasn't right. I walked in and found Noah laying on his stomach holding his arm. He said "Mommy, my arm hurts", pretty casually. I looked at it and my stomach jumped into my throat. It was plain by the "S" curve in his arm that it was broke. I picked him up and directed him to the chair to sit down.

Thats when I lost it. Not the crying, hysterical lost it, but the "I have completely lost my brain and what do I do now?" lost it. I started gathering shoes because I knew we had to go somewhere, I just did not know where yet. I picked up the phone and started going through the phone book, but who was I supposed to call? I called Brian and left a message, but of course it was the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! I called R.J. (my neighbor) and said something like "I am not thinking clearly, what do I do and where do I go?" She is such an angel, in a blink of an eye she was at my door and took Camden for the morning! (Thank you!!!!!) All while, Noah sat on the ottoman and calmly told me "Mommy, I think I need the Elmo ice pack now".

"Oh yeah, that's right, I need to do something with Noah." So in the car we went, off to the E.R. In the car, part of my brain came back to me and I started functioning better. Brian met us at the hospital and we were quickly taken back and Noah had an x-ray. He broke both bones at his wrist on his right arm. One of the broken bones was also sticking up. Not good! We were told that is usually requires surgery. The doc. said he would try to set it in 5 hours after they were sure his stomach was empty. So, the waiting began.

He was giving Tylenol with codeine and morphine, all designed to put him to sleep. Not my child, still wide awake and very alert. When the time came to set it, he was given two more drugs to knock him out. Not Noah, he stayed awake but was subdued. The doctor did his thing and did not think he was successful. After viewing a second x-ray, he was suprised to see that he did indeed move both bones back into place. He credits it to "devine intervention", I credit it to an awesome god!!!

Noah was released at 5:00 p.m. tonight. He is exhausted and confused. He is having a hard time understanding that he can continue to do things when he feels better, but only with one arm. He believes that he can't do anything at all because one arm is hurt. He feels like he is being left out of all the fun things and is very confused. We go see a specialist in a few days to see if surgery is needed. Please keep Noah in your prayers.

I am thankful for a god that performs miracles, for a god who heals, and for a god who protects. I am thankful for doctors who have the same faith that I do and who took such good care of my baby. I am thankful for wonderful family and friends who put their lives on hold to help us today. I am thankful for such a caring pastor that took time to visit us today.

Today was NOT boring!


Rebeccalynn_dj said...

Oh just thinking about the whole thing makes me want to cry. I am glad that they were able to reset it! Divine intervetion is right, the Lord can do wonderful things. I am racking my brain tonight to think of no active activities for him.


Blueeyes said...

Praise God for our Holy Healing Father! Praise God for Christian Doctors, Family, & Friends! If you need anything, please let me know.

Karla said...

We will keep Noah in our prayers--Parise God things seem to be on the right track at the moment.

Anonymous said...

oooo...ut oh...I have a boy now too.....yikes I don't look forward to days like this....prayers, hugs, hugs and prayers...


Heather said...

Wow, poor Noah. Guess a broken bone was bound to happen sooner or later. It's just so hard when it's your baby. I remember 5th grade fast skate at Good Times. That's where I broke my arm. And I was winning the darn fast race. So the s-curve you spoke of, I know it well. I guess the boy will milk it for all it's worth. Give the boy icecream or anything that tastes good, or anything he wants. Or is that for a tonsilectomy....

Brooke said...

So sorry to hear about Noah!
God is good and I know that he will heal him!
Keeping you all in our prayers!!!