Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Back in the saddle again

When I was elementary school age I loved to run. At recess while most of the kids played on the playground, I was racing anyone I could find in a foot race. My dad and I even raced a "marathon" together. I was pretty active when I was little. My days consisted of swimming, playing kick-ball, riding my bike, and roller skating everywhere. I would of loved to have those roller shoes that are out right now back then.

I'm not sure what happened after the 5th grade, but it changed. Exercise is the last thing that I want to do. I am one of those people who can work up quite a sweat and it is not a pretty sight! So, why do it? Also, the pain and physical exhaustion associated with it did not appeal to me.

Then, I hit 30. I got back into working out and felt great! (For those of you who have turned 30, you know what I mean, beacause everything starts falling apart.)

Then, I had kids... are you nuts, I don't even have time to go to the bathroom myself. How am I going to find time to work out?

With lots of encouragement from a good friend and guidance from my brother, I am back in the saddle again. I am fulfilling a New Year's resolution that I set for myself and I am glad to be doing it.

Since I have started back, I have so much energy and mentally I feel stronger. Did you know that the more that you walk the more it makes you want to run? O.k., maybe I'm just strange, but it does. Who knows maybe there is a 1/2 marathon in my future!

2 comments:

Phat Girl said...

Go Sharon GO!

Anonymous said...

When my youngest two get a little older, I am hoping to get back into a 'work out routine.' I wish you luck with yours :-).