Thursday, May 03, 2007

Spring Storm


The last three weeks have been typical as far as spring storms go for this area. Each week they have been building in intensity and last night was by far the scariest. We cut short our errand running last night because the sky looked ominous. Not long after we arrived home the radar was light up with large shades of red and yellow. They estimate the winds at being between 75 - 100 mph last night. The boys and I spent some time in the bathroom, listening to it howl. Brian, of course, watched the storm laying on the couch without a care in the world. I tried to open the front door at one point and had to fight to shut it, it was intense. We lost power for about 3 1/2 hours but the boys had fun using our camping lanterns.

The pictures above are what it looks like out our front door. Leaves are everywhere, our Bradford Pear tree lost a limb and somebody's shingles are in our front yard. At first glance they don't appear to be ours (although I am secretly hoping they are, we need a new roof). We listened for hours as firetrucks raced past our area and stopped not far down the road. We prayed for safety for ourselves and for those less fortunate.

We are safe. God is good!

4 comments:

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

Yeah, it was scary over here too. Our bradford pear in the front yard was almost literally bent down to the ground when the wind hit it's hardest. Crazy huh!

Phat Girl said...

The weather last night was crazy! I was safe, my animals were safe--Praise God! I was at my Sorority meeting last night...at least we were all safe & sound in the house. Kenny & Karla still do not have electricity. It's funny how times have truly changed. 100 years ago, people did not really rely on electricity. I can not imagine life with air conditioning!

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

I cannot imagine life without electricity either. Can you imagine packing all your fridge items in an ice chest every day. Yuck!
Sharon--How is Brian i.e. sugars, etc.

Ladyornot.com said...

i would start freaking out because of the fire trucks. I kept thinking they were the tornato warnings. The kids were fine. They thought it was fun to use candles. They even asked if we could do it again last night. There were lots of trees down in our neighborhood.