Monday, August 27, 2007

Our Kindergartner






What a day!!! Noah had a FANTASTIC first day at Kindergarten. When asked how his day was, his response was "Great!!!". His favorite thing today was "the lunch room" and pretty much the only other thing he is talking about is going to the gym. Today may have been a bit overwhelming for him and he is just taking it all in and when he feels comfortable he will begin to talk more.

He has been ready to go to K since he was 2. No joking! After meeting his teacher on Friday afternoon, he asked me if I was going to walk him to class. "Of course I will, until you are comfortable to go by yourself". He thought for a second and then said, "Mom, I will be fine by myself, I don't need you to walk me to my class." I did walk him to class this morning and he was right, he would have been just fine by himself. He walked right in, put his back-pack and lunch box in his locker and then went around exploring and making new friends. I just stood there and realized there was nothing for me to do, so I left (a moment that was hard to swallow). I am SO VERY PROUD of the confident big guy he has become!

The rest of the day held a few surprises for me. I knew that Camden would be affected by all of this, I just did not know how it would manifest itself. The easy going, free-spirited child that I know was replaced by a little boy who was struggling with fear. He was afraid to go any place in the house by himself today. He also had to play literally right under my feet and I had to be his playmate continually. I knew some of this would occur but not to the extent it did today. He would not engage in free play on his own, since his brother was gone. He also had to wake up much earlier than usual, which threw his whole eating and nap pattern into a tisey! I enjoyed spending wonderful one-on-one time today with Camden, something he has never really had. This will be an adjustment for him, I believe a good one.

P.S. I have no idea how I got the underline on, I can't seem to get it to go away! I don't see an underline button as a choice. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How precious our little boy is. How wonderful. How grown-up. I may cry. I SHALL cry. I am crying. I'm so proud of him. His own locker. Wow. And yes, when I called and asked how it was he said "GREAT!" (Like the old Tony The Tiger commercials.) Camden, me thinks, will find he likes having mommie to himself!. It will be good one-on-one time. (P.S.: Can't help with the underline :-( Love you all, Tutu

Ladyornot.com said...

Sharon Read my blog post...its almost exactly the same day LMAO too funny.

It was nice seeing you today. It was very comforting to see my friend.

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

First, I cannot believe your sweet boy is a kindergartner. Did YOU cry today dropping him off. I would have totally been a blithering idiot.

Second, I can help with the underline. When you go to the text portion to type your blog above is the B (bold) I (italic) and an underline. Just click on it to turn it off. If that doesn't work, sorry can't help ya.
Glad to see the update.

Phat Girl said...

Noah is a big boy now! He's much braver than I was at 12....I started a whole new school about 40 miles away from where I had grown up...On my 1st day of 7th grade, I made my Mom stay with me until the very last possible second.....I was so nervous and scared to be at Junior High. It was a nightmare. Yep, I'm a big wuss!
I'm so proud of you Noah!

Anonymous said...

What an exciting day! I am so glad to hear that Noah had a great first day and that you had a great time with Camden. I hope your year is a fun and exciting one :-)

Anonymous said...

It is hard to believe all these little ones are beginning their long years ahead for school. Karoline has pledged her heart to Noah-------Kandi keeps telling her she can not marry her cousin. Our babies are sooooooooo precious---just like their parents. Love Aunt Mac

3 Men, 2 Ladies and a Hound said...

Mac,

You're right, we can not allow Cousins to marry. I laughed out loud at that one. Hope everyone had a great first week of school.